Tuesday, November 15, 2011

From one redhead to another...

Those of you genetically blessed with chestnut and golden luscious locks usually assume that this is what every morning is like when you are what has become known as "being a ginger." (I should preface-this is geared toward redheaded females. I have no idea what it is like being a redheaded male, thank God.) While I have been every shade of red possible, from strawberry blonde to looking like I coated my hair with red velvet cake batter, I have never fallen prey to the belief that this was any sort of a hinderance, especially in my dating life. @carriebabramson supplied me with the above picture as well as a line from the always endearing Millionaire Matchmaker, "I find it harder to set up redheaded people because people just don't want to date them." FALSE.
To my red-headed sisters out there, if this is an issue in your life, I assure you that you are just looking in the wrong places. But you have to know what you are looking for. Being a redhead is almost similar to being Asian, in the sense that some guys have a downright fetish. If you are out with your blonde bombshell friends and guys automatically attach themselves to their golden mane like a senior on spring break to a beer bong, he's probably not your guy. But don't fret. Because in my time I have noticed that the guys who go after redheads are almost like hunters. They make their moves slower, so as not to startle you. But when they go after you, they are going in for the kill (hopefully they're not trying to kill you, but it is a possible side effect.) All I'm saying is play a little coy, be patient, and be prepared because the guys that fall for redheads fall hard, and fast. And stop shamelessly chasing after guys that are more interested in blondes, you're giving us a bad name!
I would be lying if I didn't say I occasionally envied my shiny, toe-headed friends (oh hey Maureen), and from time to time will get highlights and attempt to see if I can pull it off. I had a bout with highlights during the summer, but was persuaded... er, coerced into going back to my vibrant, radiant red before moving to New York. Best. Decision. Ever. @RachelTaylor restored me back to my fiery locks, and it has proved to be very fruitful in this city. Got hit on by a man selling hot dogs the other day who said he loved my hair (remember girls, a compliment is a compliment, you just don't have to go out with every man who does so. Even if he offers you free hot dogs. Ok, depends on the quality of hot dog.) Don't hang on your abundance of freckles, inability to hold a natural tan, the rosy cheeks no matter the weather. Instead embrace the fiery gift that you have been given, and wear it proud. @LindsayLohan wasn't such a de-rail when she was a redhead. @EmmaStone_ was definitely at her best. And tell me that hottie redhead @KateWalsh doesn't make you want to buy a Caddy.

"Every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a redhead once in his life."


Best regards,

1 comment:

  1. Lizzy Boo, you have MADE my day!!!!
    I have laughed myself silly!
    I heart you - WRITE MORE!
    your aunt anne (UGH-hate that name)

    ReplyDelete